About Our Farms
Agriculture is thriving in the Capital Region. With over $411 million in sales and over 300,000 acres of cropland in production, farms have a significant impact on our communities. The hard working farmers in the region operate a diverse number of businesses that grow a variety of products:
• Dairy and crop farmers throughout the region grow thousands of acres of hay and grain to feed dairy and livestock as well as provide grain and hay to the wholesale markets.
• Many farmers also produce food and plants for consumers. Vegetable and fruit farmers grow a wide assortment of produce that they sell direct to consumers at farmstands, farmers’ markets and CSAs.
• Many greenhouses and nurseries abound in the region that sell annuals, perennials, bedding plants, hanging baskets, trees and shrubs to beautify our homes and businesses.
• Honey and maple syrup producers take their harvest from bees and trees to add sweetness in our lives, and
• Christmas Tree farmers grow a variety of trees and wreaths to brighten our holidays.