Handling and Freezing Tips for Your Strawberry Harvest
How to Store Fresh Berries:
- Line a shallow dish with paper towel and place the strawberries in a single layer.
- Cover and refrigerate the strawberries.
- Change the paper towel to keep the strawberries for several days.
How to Freeze Berries:
- Remove green, leafy caps with a knife.
- Put strawberries in large bowl and fill it with cold water.
- Wash berries gently.
- Pour strawberries in colander or strainer to drain.
- Rinse with cold water and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Spread berries on a cookie sheet and place them in a freezer for 16 to 24 hours.
- Remove berries from the freezer and put them in zip-lock bags.
- Remove as much air as possible from bags – a vacuum seal system works best.
- Label and date bags and store them in the freezer.